Listowel is home to hundreds of beautiful trees and this leafy environment is reflected in many of the housing estate names. Here are two.
Cluain Doire literally means meadows of oak.
A Carpet of Daisies in Listowel’s Garden of Europe
Our new awareness of the role of wild flowers has led to sights like this, hundreds of daisies and buttercups among the grasses.
If we only had a four walled court
Scoil Realt na Maidine as we know it today was opened in 1959 and Halla Bhriain Mhic Mhathúna, the school hall. was built on the site of the old school and opened in 1961.
The Handball Club was one of the first customers to use the hall. They ran a series of Whist Drives on Sunday nights. They also secured a Sunday night to run a “monster” whist drive in Walsh’s Super Ballroom during the season of Lent. The committee of those years was very active in fundraising with the burning aim of raising sufficient funds to build a four walled handball court in Listowel.
Between 1961 and 1965 the club held 27 meetings and 5 A.G.M.s. They also held one EGM.
The one recurring theme in all of these meetings was the hope and ambition to build a a four wall championship handball alley in Listowel.
The minutes of these meetings record many details of fundraising, deputations to the the local government T.D. , a meeting with Listowel UDC, letters to the National Handball Organisation and to the GAA.
Promises were made and encouragement given but the heartfelt dream of a new alley for the members of that time was never realised.
The sale of membership cards to player and “social” members continued.
In 1961 124 cards at 2/6 each were sold, 77 in 1962, 103 in 1963 and only 63 in 1964 as the dream of ever achieving the championship court was fading.
Emma O’Flynn took this photo for us of the new bridge at Kilmeaney.
One to Ponder