Listowel in the 1930s
Quille’s of Upper William Street, Listowel in the 1930s.
Photo from Tipperary Studies Photos of Munster
An Owl in Beale in March 2022
The Last Picture Show
The Classic Cinema is for sale.
Trees…..Did you Know?
SACRED FOREST TREE PLANTING: In Templeglantine beside the school Saturday, March 19. Come and help us to plant Ireland’s first micro forest. 1,150 trees in a third of an acre with EcoSikh, Reforest Nation and Templeglantine Community Development. Bring wellies and a spade! Refreshments will be provided.
- Earth has more than 60,000 known species of tree.
- A tree thought to have went extinct 150 million years ago was recently discovered growing in a valley near Sidney, Australia For reference Dinosaurs like T. Rex died out 66 million years ago.
- Before trees earth had fungi with grew 30 feet tall. Ok not really a tree fact but so cool I thought I had to include it
- Trees in a forest can ‘talk’ and share nutrients through an underground internet built by soil fungi. Sometimes called the wood wibe web, each tree acts like a neuron in the human brain giving a forest intelligence.
- A large oak tree can consume about 100 gallons of water per day, and a giant sequoia can drink up to 500 gallons daily.
- Trees help us breathe — and not just by producing oxygen. Trees in city’s remove air pollution and save lives, each year 4.2 million people die from air pollution.
- Adding one tree to an open pasture can increase its bird biodiversity from almost zero species to as high as 80. Even more of a reason not to cut down fairy trees!
- Trees can lower stress, raise property values and reduce crime rates. A large oak tree can drop 10,000 acorns in one year. So adopting just a few trees will one day become tens of thousands!( Reforest Nation).